Artist Comment: Galway – Dialogue Session #1 – September 14th, 2011
MARIE BRETT (VISUAL ART)
In Galway for Dialogue # 1, I aimed to open dialogue via the presentation ‘Unravelling Arts & Health Practice’ as per the earlier two venues, looking at
– Artists position
– Partnership : three-way
– Challenges + incentives
– Other aligned professions / areas of work
Exchange was interesting including artists questioning and commenting about:
– Where does my work begin and end when working with others?
– The importance of keeping something for yourself
– Not to be frightened to make demands as an artist – what are your priorities?
– The grey area, a creative space
– To keep your voice for the art / integrity?
– Art itself is about creating dialogue
– Its easy to fall into wanting to please everyone
– Where do we look to for validation?
– How & where do we get permission to show the work afterwards and / or process of the work?
– How does this field of work relate to your own art – does it move your own art forward?
– The work as your art practice / not in parallel to it
– Allies for your work and practice
Other comments were: ‘It’s so refreshing to hear an artist talking openly about these issues’ and ‘I’m so pleased to hear these conversations happening as they’ve been in my head for eight years with no-one to share them with’