MARIE BRETT (VISUAL ART)
In Limerick for Dialogue # 1, conversations unfolded during my final presentation ‘Unravelling Arts & Health Practice’ exploring
– Partnership as a three-way approach
– Locating needs as an artist in the field
– Collaboration / Facilitation : different working methodologies
– Aligned professions / areas of work / cross-overs?
Which grew dialogue notably around issues of:
– Why is arts and health growing as an area of interest / is it growing or more so being identified and named?
// Negotiating permissions – who with / how + when?
// Of what – object / idea / legacy?
// how long can an artist be flexible to include / remove a person’s name, input, ever flexible and shifting or a point when becomes fixed in stone?
– Difficulty of maintaining creativity
– Is it possible to be truly creative without imposing one’s ideas on other people?
– Importance of being open and informed / access to information + knowledge / not fearing not knowing or asking for help from partners
– Questioning what is the role of the artist?
– Clarity needed from outset of one’s intention / boundaries
– Time needed for negotiation
– The distinct difference between collaboration and facilitating someone elses creativity
– Art as product, but can the process be the product?
– Need to negotiate positions of artist / therapist / leisure activity provider / teacher
– Artists can be scared to bring up these things … to say the artwork is the priority over healing